New Oasis Homestay Program Overview
The number of international students coming to study in the United States is growing each year. A large number of these students enroll in private schools and need a temporary home during the school year. We call these homes "host family homes". Staying with a host family gives our students a fantastic opportunity to immerse themselves into a new culture and the English language.
The Homestay families are expected to act as the international student’s "family away from home". You are not merely offering room and board to these students. Your role is to offer a safe, caring, and nurturing environment for these students to live in, just as you would your own children. Conversely the international students are not to look at your relationship as if they are "guests" to be waited on hand and foot. The relationship we are looking for is one of mutual understanding and trust. The experience can be enriching and rewarding for both students and hosts alike. Opening up your home is a wonderful way to meet students from all over the world, learn about different cultures and traditions, and share your values and experience. For some families, hosting an exchange student adds an exciting new dynamic to their family life, others love the new perspectives that students infuse into their homes and communities.
New Oasis recruits students and host families who are genuinely interested in learning and growing across cultural and language barriers and who are also willing to work at overcoming the difficult challenges which these barriers may present. Both students and families must approach the hosting experience with attitudes of openness, patience, creativity, flexibility, and dedication to building a family together before their experience can be a successful one. We understand that international students may experience many new and often difficult adjustments as they study and live in a new culture. These adjustments require time, patience, endurance, and often the ability to relax and laugh at one's mistakes. We believe that if international students are nurtured daily within a family environment, they will be better able to make necessary cross-cultural adjustments and they will gain the greatest benefit from their study overseas.
Our sincere desire is that international students and their host families will develop, over time, a strong relationship which encourages learning and growth for both sides and which also results in a beautiful, lasting international friendship.
What is expected of the New Oasis Host Family?
- A warm and welcoming family
- Eager to share the American culture with the international student
- Interested in other cultures
- Accept the international student as a member of their family and community •
- Provide a private bedroom for the international student • Provides daily meals with the family
- Provide the transportation between the school and home or have access to bussing provided by the local school district
What is expected of New Oasis International Students?
- High school aged boys and girls from China
- Coming to the U.S. for long-term high school program towards graduation
- Arriving in August or January
- Well behaved students
- Have basic English communication skills
- Anxious to experience the American culture and daily life
- Well-screened by our representatives abroad
- Covered by medical insurance during the stay
- Committed to be a responsible and caring member of the family
What support can be expected from New Oasis International Education?
- Advocate for the program in the local community
- Identify host families and verify references
- Assess host families and homes with visit
- Screen students abroad through local representatives
- Match students and families based on their interests
- Provide financial support to host family
- Orientation of new students and host families
- Contact host families and students monthly
- Provide ongoing support and advice to students and host families